7 Steps to Get FSSAI License for Exporting Food Products
FSSAI license is a mandatory requirement for exporting food products from India. FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, which is the apex body responsible for ensuring the quality and safety of food in the country. FSSAI license is issued by the central or state authorities depending on the nature and scale of the business.
If you are planning to export food products from India, you need to obtain FSSAI license for export before you can start your operations. Here are the steps to get FSSAI license for export:
1. Identify the type of license you need
There are three types of FSSAI licenses: basic, state and central. Basic license is for small businesses with an annual turnover of up to Rs. 12 lakhs. State license is for medium-sized businesses with an annual turnover of more than Rs. 12 lakhs but less than Rs. 20 crores. Central license is for large businesses with an annual turnover of more than Rs. 20 crores or those who are engaged in import or export of food products.
As a Rexcer.com seller, you get more than just a storefront on a Global Marketplace.
You get an end-to-end platform of wholesale services that helps you grow your business and provide your customers with a service.
Here’s how to get started
2. Register your business entity
You need to register your business entity as a proprietorship, partnership, LLP, company or any other legal form with the relevant authorities. You also need to obtain a PAN card, GST registration, IEC code and bank account for your business.
3. Apply online for FSSAI license
You need to visit the official website of FSSAI and fill up the online application form for FSSAI license. You need to provide details such as your business name, address, contact details, type of food products, category of license, etc. You also need to upload the required documents such as proof of identity, proof of address, proof of business registration, etc.
4. Pay the fees and submit the application
You need to pay the fees for FSSAI license according to the type and category of your license. The fees vary from Rs. 100 to Rs. 7500 per year depending on the type and category of your license. You can pay the fees online through net banking, debit card, credit card or UPI. After paying the fees, you need to submit your application online.
5. Get the inspection done by FSSAI officials
After submitting your application, you will receive an acknowledgment number and a reference number from FSSAI. You need to keep these numbers handy for future reference. Within 15 days of submitting your application, FSSAI officials will visit your premises and conduct an inspection to verify the compliance with the food safety and hygiene standards.
6. Receive your FSSAI license certificate
If your inspection is successful and no discrepancies are found, you will receive your FSSAI license certificate within 60 days of submitting your application. You can download your certificate from the FSSAI website using your acknowledgment number and reference number.
7. Display your FSSAI license number on your products and packaging
Once you receive your FSSAI license certificate, you need to display your FSSAI license number on your products and packaging along with the FSSAI logo and name. This will help in identifying your products as safe and quality assured.
FSSAI license is a crucial document for exporting food products from India. It not only ensures the safety and quality of your products but also enhances your credibility and reputation in the global market.
Rexcer.com offers wholesale distributors and manufacturers a simple and economical way to grow their business online,
Digitize your business: it’s easy to generate B2B sales on Rexcer
sell to today’s global B2B buyers at any time, anywhere.
How to Obtain FSSAI License for Exporting Food Products from India
If you are a food exporter or planning to start an export business in the food sector, you need to obtain a FSSAI license for exporting food products from India. FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, which is the apex body responsible for ensuring food safety and quality in the country. FSSAI license for exports consolidates regulations formed with the help of science-based standards for all processed, semi-processed or unprocessed food products and consumables to ensure the safety of customers, and to regulate the manufacturing, storage and transportation.
The FSSAI license guarantees that the exported food products meet the appropriate quality and safety standards, supporting the overall food safety framework and regulatory compliance for global trade. Exporters of food items must additionally acquire the import-export license and the no-objection certificate in addition to the FSSAI License for Export Businesses. In this blog post, we will explain how to apply for FSSAI license for exports, what are the documents required, and what are the benefits of having this license.
Benefits of FSSAI License for Exports
Having a FSSAI license for exports can provide you with several benefits, such as:
- It enhances your credibility and reputation as a food exporter, as it assures your customers that your products are safe and hygienic.
- It helps you comply with the international food safety standards and regulations, which can facilitate your entry into new markets and increase your customer base.
- It reduces the risk of rejection or confiscation of your products by the customs authorities or the importing countries, as it proves that your products have undergone quality checks and certification.
- It enables you to avail various schemes and incentives offered by the government for promoting food exports, such as duty drawbacks, subsidies, tax exemptions, etc.
How to Apply for FSSAI License for Exports
To apply for FSSAI license for exports, you need to follow these steps:
- Step 1: Refer to How to apply for license/registration manual on https://foscos.fssai.gov.in/
- Step 2: Click on License/Registration and Apply for License/Registration on the yellow Menu box.
- Step 3: Click on Apply for License/Registration on the Red Box.
- Step 4: Select the State and Read the Note before proceeding.
- Step 5: Read the Group Heads of Kind of Business and select Exporters under Manufacturer.
- Step 6: Under Exporters there are three types of kind of business: 100 % Export Oriented units, Exporter – Manufacturer – Only Exports, and Exporter – Manufacturer – Domestic & Exports. Choose the one that suits your business model.
- Step 7: Fill in all the mandatory fields as shown in Form B. Please fill the communication details with caution as all the communication made by the authority will be done to the mentioned contact details viz Mobile No. or Email Id etc. Fill GST/PAN/CIN in the relevant fields as applicable to your firm/company.
- Step 8: Upload the relevant set of documents, such as address proof, identity proof, partnership deed or memorandum of association, list of food products, import-export code, no-objection certificate from local authority, etc.
- Step 9: Pay the fee with available modes and apply. The fee depends on the type of license (central or state) and the validity period (1 year to 5 years).
- Step 10: After completing the payment, a receipt will be generated with a 17-digit reference number which can be used for future reference.
- Step 11: User can track the status of application through the Homepage i.e. https://foscos.fssai.gov.in/
Global Demand for Indian Food Products
According to a report by Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA), India’s export of processed food products increased by 26.51% in terms of value during April-June 2021 as compared to April-June 2020. The major export destinations were USA, Saudi Arabia, UAE, China, Singapore, Bangladesh, UK, Nepal, Qatar and Canada.
Some of the factors that contribute to the global demand for Indian food products are:
- The diversity and uniqueness of Indian cuisine, which offers a variety of flavors, spices, ingredients and dishes that cater to different tastes and preferences.
- The health benefits of Indian food products, which are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein, and can help prevent or manage various diseases and disorders.
- The growing awareness and popularity of organic, vegan, gluten-free and other niche food products, which are produced in India with high quality standards and certification.
- The increasing disposable income and urbanization of the consumers in the developing countries, which create a demand for convenience, ready-to-eat and packaged food products.
- The cultural and religious affinity of the consumers in the neighboring and Middle Eastern countries, which share a common heritage and preference for Indian food products.
FSSAI license for exports is a mandatory requirement for any food exporter who wants to export food products from India. It ensures that the food products meet the quality and safety standards of both the domestic and the importing countries, and enhances the credibility and reputation of the exporter. It also helps the exporter to comply with the international food safety regulations and to avail various benefits and incentives offered by the government. To apply for FSSAI license for exports, one needs to follow a simple online process and submit the required documents and fee. The global demand for Indian food products is increasing due to various factors such as diversity, health, niche, income and culture. Therefore, obtaining FSSAI license for exports can be a lucrative opportunity for any food exporter who wants to expand their business and reach new markets.
Sell on Rexcer.comReach millions of B2B buyers globally
Essential Topics You Should Be Familiar With: