How to get an importer number in Canada
Importing goods into Canada can be a lucrative business. However, to start importing goods into the country, you will first need to obtain an importer number. Without this number, you will not be able to clear your goods at the border. In this article, we will discuss how to get an importer number in Canada.
What is an Importer Number?
Before we dive into how to get an importer number, let us first define what an importer number is. An importer number is a unique identifier assigned to businesses or individuals who import goods into Canada. This number is used by the Canadian Border Service Agency (CBSA) to identify importers and ensure that they comply with all relevant laws and regulations.
Who Needs an Importer Number?
If you are a business or an individual that imports goods into Canada, then you need an importer number. This includes individuals who import goods for personal use, as well as businesses that import goods for commercial purposes.
How to Get an Importer Number in Canada
There are two ways to get an importer number in Canada. You can either apply for one online or by mail.
To apply for an importer number online, you will need to follow these steps:
- Go to the Import/Export Account Registration Service (IEARS) website.
- Click on “Register for an import/export account.”
- Follow the instructions to create an account and register for an import/export account.
- Provide all the required information, including your business name, address, and contact information.
- Submit your application.
To apply for an importer number by mail, you will need to follow these steps:
- Download and print the RC1 Form.
- Fill out the form with all the required information.
- Mail the completed form to the address listed on the form.
What Documents Do You Need to Apply for an Importer Number?
To apply for an importer number, you will need to provide the following information:
- Your business or personal name
- Your address and contact information
- The type of goods you plan to import
- The country from which you plan to import these goods
- Your Canadian Business Number (if applicable)
- Your Social Insurance Number (if you are an individual)
When Will You Receive Your Importer Number?
If you apply for an importer number online, you should receive your number within seven to ten business days. If you apply by mail, it may take up to six weeks to receive your number.
Getting an importer number in Canada is a crucial step in starting an importing business. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can easily apply for and obtain an importer number. Remember to provide all the required information and apply using the method that works best for you. With your importer number in hand, you will be able to start importing goods into Canada and grow your business.